Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Have you ever wondered what's in the "pumpkin pie spice" that so many recipes call for? Of course, you could just go out an buy a premade pumpkin pie spice mix but why run out to the store when you can make it at home with spices you probably already have!
Pumpkin pie spice is called that because it's the perfect mix for making pumpkin pie! (Obviously, lol!) But you can also use the spice in pumpkin and other kinds of muffins, on french toast, in pancakes and waffles, on eggnog, sprinkled on your chai tea latte, in cinnamon buns, to season pumpkin seeds or baked pecans, spice cake, mixed with pumpkin puree and sugar to make pumpkin syrup for lattes, and sprinkled over popcorn!
This recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice contains only five ground spices including:
Mix up a big batch from the recipe below and tuck it in an airtight container and have fun experimenting with fun recipes this fall!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
Mix all spices together in a bowl. Transfer to a small airtight container.
Use pumpkin pie spice for the following snacks, meals, and recipes:
- pumpkin muffins (add 1 tablespoon in lieu of seasonings)
- pumpkin syrup for pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin spice chai lattes
- pumpkin pie (use lard pie pastry - recipe here)
- sprinkle over your chai tea or coffee
- add to your pancakes or waffles
- sprinkle on your french toast
- use instead of cinnamon in your favorite recipes like cinnamon buns and cinnamon bun cake
- use to spice up your next spice cake
- sprinkle over popcorn, or your roasted pumpkin seeds