Summer Beef Salad made with Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs
It's summertime my friend!
A time for salads & grilling! Meals on the deck or in the yard! Picking fresh salad greens from the garden!
Let's make a salad today made with beef from short ribs! Short ribs cook easily in the slow cooker and can be shredded into beef pieces to use for salads, wraps, and sandwiches. The meat is flavourful and tender.
This salad pairs very well with a creamy homemade ranch dressing drizzled on top. You'll find the ranch dressing light and flavourful with fresh herbs & cream.
Summer Beef Salad Recipe
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (recipe here)
- 1 large head romaine or red or green leaf lettuce, chopped into bite-size leaves
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (your choice of colour)
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 to 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ranch dressing (recipe here)
- fermented jalapenos (optional) (recipe here)
- salsa (optional)
- Place short ribs into a slow cooker over low heat. Cook for 8 to 12 hours. Let cool for 20 to 30 minutes before pulling the meat off the bone and shredding. Discard the fat and save the bones for making bone broth (recipe here).
- Season the meat with the taco seasoning to taste. If not using right away, tuck meat into a container and refrigerate up to 4 days. Reheat beef before making salad.
- To prepare the salad, toss lettuce with tomatoes, peppers, onion, about 1 cup of the cheese, and prepared beef. Transfer the salad into individual bowls. Top each bowl with additional cheese, ranch dressing, jalapenos, and salsa.